Friday, August 31, 2012

Dr. appt + trip to Labor & Delivery = Bed rest

Let me start from the beginning - I had a scheduled doctors appointment on Wednesday (I think, I can't keep up these days) The sono tech checked to see if my cervix had shortened at all since my last appt. Shortening is what we don't want. It had a very little bit from the week before. Since I had been having a lot of braxton hicks, they wanted to hook me up to the monitors just to watch for a little bit. They also noticed that Baby B's heart rate was higher than normal. I stayed hooked up for about 30 minutes. Dr. Westerholm came in and was looking at the results from the monitors and she said I needed to go over to L&D to be monitored some more. I got over there about noon and they hooked me up. Baby B finally decided to settle down and her heart rate was normal, so that was good. I kept having contractions, so they gave me a bag of fluids through IV. Let me tell you...that IV was fun. ha Mind you, I hadn't eaten since before my appt at 11 - I was starving! They wouldn't let me have anything to eat or drink until they talked to Dr Westerholm and decided what the next step was going to be.

After doing a CBC test (complete blood count) my platelets had dropped more - to 51,000. Not good. After talking to the oncologist, he wanted me to start taking 60mg/day of the steroids for me and we will test again on Tuesday and pray that they have gone up!

The nurse finally comes back and says that I will get a steroid shot for the babies to help their lungs mature a little faster and then I would be discharged. Let me tell you...that shot HURT!!! And then she tells me I have to get another one 24 hours later. Oh my! We are discharged at at 5:45pm and on strict bed rest - OH JOY! The first thing on my mind is food though...I MUST EAT!

The first day and half of bed rest hasn't been that bad. I am just taking it easy and watching my shows. I just hate feeling so helpless - but I will do anything to keep these girls in longer! I went and got my other steroid shot for the babies yesterday and got a few clarifications to my bed rest rules. (No, this shot didn't hurt any less!) I can get up for potty, quick shower, fix something quick to eat (cereal, etc) and then it is back down for me. I am moving from the bed to the couch to the recliner so that helps a little bit.

I will keep everyone updated as time goes by! Now there is no excuse for not blogging - it's not like I am busy or anything - ha!

0 comments: